Monday, July 9, 2012

AO49

Lots went on in convention today including me being so sore from my race that I cannot hardly walk. Luckily on my way back to my room tonight I found this shoe shiner who also does feet messages so I got a foot rub. It helps, but my shins are still in pain!!!! Early this morning the Committee on Prayer Book, Liturgy, and music passed resolution AO49 which is the resolution for a blessing liturgy for same gender couples. It then went to the house of Bishops. After a long period of debate the Presiding Bishop called it to a roll call vote. Of course there were several amendments added so there are a few word changes here and there. The House of Bishops approved this resolution 111-44. Now with the amendments (one of which is from our friend Bishop Parsley of Alabama) resolution AO49 will go before the house of deputies for a vote tomorrow afternoon along with the presentation of the budget. Also, both house approved the resolution to add trans-gendered persons in the anti-discrimination clause of the cannons. The other resolution that I am interested in is the one about closed or open communion. If its open communion anyone who is baptized is free to take communion. In free communion anyone can take communion regardless. In Fayetteville we practice free communion. I cannot swear by it, but I believe the resolution for close communion (or what we would call open to baptized persons) was rejected. Tomorrow there will be lots coming out of both houses that we will be following via the net while traveling. However, we will not be here to witness. One of the gentlemen that rode with us lost his step grandfather and we need to get him back to Arkansas. So, keep Brooks in your thoughts. and may his step grandfathers memory be a blessing. I met Gene Robinson tonight at a service for Integrity. I also spent more time with the custodian of the book of common prayer. and my friend from Lubbock. We all went to sushi as well, but Sara and I had terriaki chicken. There is probably lots more to tell and I will report more tomorrow as I here news and remember stuff. Now, I am exhausted and going to bed. I am ready to be back in Fayetteville and see Winston. June will be back in just over 2 weeks as well so I will be excited to see her! Peace and Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment