Sunday, July 8, 2012
Hujato hujaumbika
Two nights ago, after my blog, Bishop Benfield took all the Arkansans out for Tappas. I have no Idea what I ate (and probably do not want to know) but it was delicious. The next day I got up and went to the Eucharist which Bishop Curry from North Carolina preached. He gave us a fire sermon about being crazy Christians. Later I met lots of our Arkansas group out for lunch and then attended a seminar that a young man spoke about his story and his life dealing with being HIV positive. I learned lots. After a session in the house of deputies many of us went to a riveting hearing in committee 13 dealing with the blessing ceremony for same gender couples. We heard many testimonies from people on both sides of the issue. One thing I have noticed and appreciate (that Lowell pointed out) is that we as Episcopalians can be on opposite sides of an issue and still worship together and have a good time together in love. We left the hearing at about 8pm and headed to a Young Adult Festival in which I had time to visit with the presiding bishop of the united states. Once leaving there I met some ladies from Texas and began a conversation then two priest joined. One has the official title as the custodian of the book of common prayer. He had a plethora of knowledge and great stories. The other is a priest from the Chicago are and works (I think) as a deputy to his bishop. The three of us stayed out very late and enjoyed a few cocktails together. I had the best time and learned lots
This morning I awoke at 5:30am. Myself, and three other Arkansans ran in a 5k sponsored by ECW and had a blast, though I cannot move a muscle at present. Then I served bread at one of the stations during the morning Eucharist. The best part of the day was at a luncheon for the Chicago Consultation. We had two Saint Paul's parishioners sharing their stories of love. Dave and his now deceased partner were married in a short window of opportunity in California. They shared an amazing journey together and were a perfect example of a loving relationship. It is hard for me as a heterosexual to comprehend, but they showed us what love and marriage are about. Then Cathy (a dear friend) and Noah who was her daughter but now trans-gendered son shared their story. Both accounts were heart wrenching. Then in small group discussions I met a priest from Tanzania. He shared with us a Swahili saying that goes (and Sabrina would die at my butchering this) "hujata hujumbika." It translates loosely to: your creation is not complete until you die. We are people in the making constantly transforming in time by God. This is true of us individually and true for our church in general. Lowell told me one time that the inclusion of the LGBTQ community in our church, ordained ministry, and sacraments feels to him like a move of the Holy Spirit. I am now convinced that he is right and that every child of God has a ministry, has a place in God's house, and has a place at God's table rather ordained or lay. I am proud to be apart of an institution that practices inclusion and acceptance. I am thankful that God has placed me here and I pray we continue to move forward with love and compassion for all human beings.
The resolutions at questions are still not up to vote. The blessings resolutions were sent last night to sub-committee for editing and working on the liturgy. They should be re-presented to the committee in the morning at 7:30am and hopefully move to the houses from there. Also, church pension is having a hearing in the morning about a loan forgiveness resolution for seminarians who serve at under-privileged churches for three years after being ordained. And of course there are hearings on restructuring. There are many exciting things going on at convention and in the church and I will hopefully have better information in the next few days.
Peace,
Jason
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment