Friday, July 6, 2012

Convention Day 2

Yesterday, Randall Curtis, myself and 7 other Episcopalians from Arkansas drove what was supposed to be a 10 hour trip to Indianapolis for General Convention. We finally got her last night for a short session on the workings of conventions and a bite to eat before bed. We had a great trip though it was long. The House of Deputies voted yesterday to allow blessing ceremonies for same sex couples and it will now go to the house of bishops for debate. I was told by Lowell that the Church voted nearly unanimously to not discriminate ordained ministry for persons who are homosexual or transgendered. These are big steps for the LBGTQ community and shows the church is wanting to move forward with love and acceptance for all. Today, I ran into Lowell 1st thing and found out where committee 13 (prayer book, liturgy, and music) would be meeting. I then ran into Bishop Parsley the retired bishop from Alabama and had a great visit with him. I found the seminary of the southwest table and visited and met the dean then saw Sara Milford. On my way to Committee 13 I ran into Bishop Benfield from Arkansas and had a great chat. I stayed in committee 13 for two hours and listened two the debate on liturgy for animals and creation. Those resolutions are now being edited by sub-committees and wordshipped. They will then meet at 7:30am to present and those resolutions will be going before the house of deputies at the 7pm legislative session. I am excited especially about the animal rites. I also got to visit with Bishop Kee Sloan from Alabama. He has agreed to sign my prayer book for me and it was good to catch up with him. Lowell and he have sort of grown up together and he says I am in TROUBLE being in Lowell's care. Then I found the Anglican Musicians booth and low and behold they were playing the DVD from Arkansas Interfaith Choir Camp. Charlie will be proud. I also got to see Laura (our new priest at St. Pauls) and got to see Rev. Susan Slaughter who is the Rector of St. Lukes in the Meadow in Fort Worth. She and I used to worship together at St. Matthias in Athens, Texas many moons ago when I was at Ski N Scats. Man it was good to catch up with her. Several of Arkansans got to meet the presiding bishop today but I was in committee 13 with Lowell. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to meet her. I get to serve communion bread on Sunday in the Eucharist and Tomorrow I will be back in Committee 13. I am interested in the new liturgies, if there is something you would like for me to report on let me know and I will check it out. Peace, Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment